Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Pizza Pizza

Daring Bakers October 2008 Challenge: Pizza Dough

(Basic Pizza Dough Recipe from The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering The Art of Extraordinary Bread by Peter Reinhart)


I’m going to let the pictures tell most of the story this month. The task was to make pizza dough from scratch, actually toss it to stretch it into shape, and then to top it with both a sauce and toppings. I have to be honest – my dough didn’t turn out very well. I had a hard time getting it to the right consistency to begin with, and then it simply did not rise in the oven. So the five people I invited over for a pizza dinner and I ate delicious toppings off cracker-like crust. I think the biggest hit was the dessert pizza I made at the end with a puff pastry crust! But here they are, one by one, in all their non-rising glory….


Pizza 1 -- Sauce: Olive Oil; Toppings: Herbes de Provence and Garlic



Pizza 2 -- Sauce: Pesto; Toppings: Mozzarella and Spinach



Pizza 3 -- Sauce: Tomato Sauce; Toppings: Pepperoni, Artichoke Hearts, Mushrooms, Mozzarella



Pizza 4 -- Sauce: Caramelized Onions; Toppings: Pear, Gorgonzola, Walnuts


Pizza 5 -- Sauce: Tomato Sauce; Toppings: Breaded Chicken Cutlets, Tomatoes, Mozzarella



Pizza 6 -- Sauce: Caramelized Onions; Toppings: Portobello Mushrooms, Goat Cheese




"Pizza" 7 -- Crust: Puff Pastry; Sauce: Whipped Cream; Toppings: Raspberries and Strawberries




No comments:

Post a Comment